Saturday, December 6, 2008

There's a First Time for Everything

Yesterday was quite eventful. In my office, just before our office gift exchange/party started I was asked if I would run down to the store and get a gift for someone who had not yet been able to. I then agreed (as its a 1st years duty to basically run all the erands of my superiors). I then went to her cube to await my instructions. She gave me her debit card and told me to buy 25$ worth of alchohal. I turned pale. Then I said that I had never purchased alchohal in my life and that I would have no idea what to buy. She let out a small chuckle before realizing that I was serious. I guess she was one of the few in the office that was not aware of the fact that I do not drink. Luckily there was another 1st year was able to go with me to make sure that I got the good stuff. When we arrived at the store he pointed out to buy. It was "golden schlatter", which is a type of alchohal with flakes of gold that float around in the bottle. I guess the gold cuts your throught as you drink allowing the alchohal to get into your blood stream quicker. The first thought that I had when picking up the bottle was "maybe I can buy another one for myself, filter out the gold and dump the alchohal." It was a very temping thought given the rise in the price of gold over the last few months. I know what you might be thinking; only an accountnat would think of that. But I resisted the temptation and only purchased the one. When I approached the register I swiped the card and the cashier asked to see my ID. I immediately turned pale once again before remembering, "oh yeah, they're asking for my ID for the alchohal, not the debit card." Then I paid for the alchohal and went back to the office.

A few minutes later the party started and it was a lot of fun. The best part was seeing about 50 people get drunk during work hours. It was very entertaining. I am looking forward to the official Christmas Party next weekend.

4 comments:

Natalee said...

I hate work parties. People who are sloshed are very funny though.

Mindy said...

I hope you took some good pictures to us in the future, if needed.

Zola said...

Welcome to the real world, son. The thing I notice about office parties is that as the party goes on the drinkers get louder and louder, and say sillier and sillier things. I keep thinking, "If they knew what they were saying and how they looked, they would be so embarrassed." I am always glad when the party is over and we can go home. Merry Christmas!

EMac said...

I wish I had a video of you at the liquor store. I bet you were hilarious. Thank goodness you had someone else there to help you pick out the right stuff. Love you!!